Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sisters, Vacuums and Skating

What a beautiful weekend it has been! The sun filled the room at breakfast and made it pleasanter to traverse between the house and the storage area while I was frantically looking for clothes for the children for Sunday School. I was afraid it was going to be the first day Amber went to Sunday School in jeans. But we did not have to come to that.

My sisters came over today and looked over the house, then brought in the best vacuum cleaner! It's my new toy! Pa will have to fight me for it when he comes. He likes a good vacuum cleaner too. Honestly I never thought I would "love" a household robot like a vacuum cleaner, but I guess I never had one that really worked. The one I had (and still have up to now) is ineffective enough to make my sister comment in it's disfavor, which means it must be pretty bad, because she's doesn't just spout a lot of negative opinions like some people. And the other vacuum cleaners I had were stronger but far less reliable, bordering on dangerous. I remember one that died with a boom and a horrible groan and then it emitted a feeble wisp of smoke that must have been timed with the exit of its smelly soul. We lived the next day or two with all the windows open.

I've cleaned so much the house is looking better than ever, and I feel like the 1960's housewife with the heels and fresh hair ribbon waiting for her husband to come home in his business suit to ask what's for dinner with a kiss. I need to practice my high, feminine voice.

When I had my sisters here I was able for the first time to live out a dream of mine, to take from my pantry the beautiful fixings of a Belgian-style tea party. It's a most heartwarming thing to do, and the kids even said, Mommy, can we please make this a tradition every Sunday afternoon.... They got used to it in Belgium, too. Tea, any other warm like coffee, -or as in our case- cider, chocolate, cookies... laughter and a chat. No pictures this time- Amber took some of us, but they turned out really weird so I thought I'd skip it. Not my sisters' fault either.

Marc is feeling better. His cough eased up and he has his voice mostly back.

I have been learning about the cold weather in Europe! Even an Elfstedentocht is being considered- Maybe Friday or Zaterdag is Elfstedentocht 2012!
If it goes through I cannot even imagine the intense desire of the competitors to win that skating marathon that can only happen when the ice gets thick- and hasn't happened since what, 1997? If it keeps freezing so hard, then maybe the Nederlanders will hear the affirming "go-ahead" words that only the chairman of the Frisian Eleven City Skating Marathon can say to the country of the Netherlands that makes their hearts beat high (and any other European who likes to watch crazy sports on TV):

"...it giet oan!"

No comments:

Post a Comment